Key Steps in the NPTP
What you can expect during your practicum year
Prior to January:
- Meet with your clinical supervisor and employer to set up your supernumerary clinical practice.
- Orientation and start of Semester One in early February.
- Site visit with academic NP mentor and clinical supervisor within 4 weeks of start of the Programme to discuss practicum requirements and to complete formative clinical assessment.
May – June:
- Summative assessment of clinical competence at the end of Semester One.
Mid June – Mid July:
- Opportunity for a quick break; but students are recommended to continue with practicum hours if possible.
- Start of Semester Two.
- Summative competency assessment for NP competencies in October.
- Submission of NP portfolio in mid-October.
- Mock Nursing Council panel assessment.
- Submission of NP application and portfolio to NCNZ.
December or January:
- NP panel assessment, conducted by NCNZ.
Watch a video from NP Sandra Oster (National Course Director of the NPTP) which provides an overview of both the NPTP and the role of a NP once qualified: