NPTP Entry Criteria
You must meet all of the following requirements to be considered for entry to the NPTP:
- Have completed a minimum of three years’ equivalent full-time practice (0.8FTE or higher) within the last five years in the area of practice that you will be registering.
- At least one of the three years needs to have been in New Zealand.
- A solid foundation of clinical skills and knowledge to be able to practice at an advanced level.
- Download the self-audit clinical readiness tool
- Have identified a clinical supervisor (a senior NP or senior doctor) who is willing to mentor the attainment of the advanced skills and competencies required for NP practice.
- There is a strong preference for an established clinical relationship of 12 months before the start of the NPTP. The clinical supervisor must be committed to providing clinical mentorship for the 12 months of the NP training programme contract.
- Written agreement from your employer must be provided with the application to confirm a minimum of 500 hours of supernumerary clinical release time, clinical supervisor availability, release to attend University study days, and commitment to employ the student as a NP on registration (minimum 0.6FTE). Further information for employers can be found here.
- Be educationally prepared to complete the masters programme at the end of the practicum year or have already completed a masters programme (Please verify your eligibility for masters completion with your university of choice for the NPTP).
- Have completed the prerequisite courses including advanced health assessment, pathophysiology, and pharmacology, and preferably with a B grade average or above (including any required grades for specific courses). See further information regarding the academic pathway here.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or hold a New Zealand Permanent Resident Visa.
- Be a registered nurse with a current New Zealand practicing certificate and be in good standing with the Nursing Council of New Zealand.
- Hold suitable indemnity insurance.
If you don’t meet the entry criteria for the NPTP, or are unsure if you do, and you are of Màori or Pacific descent or any other priority areas for improving equity in our communities, please still get in contact with us so we can discuss further options for your NP career pathway with you. Please contact one of our programme co-leaders – Sue Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Josephine Davis (Josephine.email@example.com).
← Back to our NPTP home page